Saturday, February 23, 2013

Best espresso in Warsaw, Evergreen boutique, ul. Tamka 49 (Ordynacka), Warsaw, Poland

A friend, whose culinary taste I truly respect, tried to convince me to go together to Starbucks. “Why? Is their coffee so great.”  “They serve a really outstanding cheesecake.” And I think this is the best thing that can be said about Starbucks and its coffee.  I am not a big coffee drinker, but I loooove a good espresso.  In Warsaw, even at San Lorenzo, they don’t know how to make a decent espresso.  At Java Coffee at PWC building they occasionally have a truly outstanding blend, but they lack in execution, the final stage of making the perfect espresso.  Thus, imagine my surprise, when the other day I stopped by my favourite interior designed boutique (Evergreen, near the Chopin museum), and discovered they serve a “7gr” coffee.  I have never heard of “7gr” brand, but in Italy there are 800+ firms roasting coffee beans.  I thought I give it a try.  An unusual place to serve coffee, but maybe this special environment will produce something interesting.  I must say that I was blown away.  First, of all the smell of the grounded coffee was outstanding.  It looked and smelled like  a truly outstanding blend.  Second of all, the barista actually cared and KNEW what he was doing.  To the most, preparing an espresso is a mechanical process, largely dependent on the machinery involved.  Here, the care taken to prepare a cup of espresso was admirable.  And, the espresso itself: rich, flavourful, a perfect uniform crema without a single bubble that stays like that to the last sip.  Awesome!  Truly awesome!  Who would have thought that I would find a perfect espresso away from the fancy restaurants and cafes.
My quest for a perfect espresso in Warsaw is officially over J

1 comment:

  1. Since then I have had an opportunity to meet the charming ladies (sisters) who own and run 7gr. Their passion for coffee and their business was truly inspirational.

    ReplyDelete