Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cockney’s Bar & Restaurant, Marsamxett Landing Place, Valletta, Malta

My pals have asked me to review this restaurant on my blog for three reasons:
1.       It has been recommended to me by the people I trust.
2.       I have eaten their once, but they have eaten their again, and it was as good as before.
3.       It has a great informal atmosphere.
When I booked the place a week in advance, my expectations food-wise were definitely inflated by the reviews like this one: http://www.maltainsideout.com/13226/malta-cockneys/ .  At the same time, I was a bit apprehensive after the reading the comments about the service there.  Well, let me first start by saying that we have had truly fabulous service.  Our waitress was from Slovakia, and she was prompt and helpful.  When we asked about what fresh seafood they happen to have she brought out everything they had, and talked about each item.  True, we were there off-season so the place was rather deserted, but one has to appreciate the great service she has provided.  In any case, the place is very casual, the décor simple and the wine cheap; but the food is top class.  We were in the mood for seafood, and although we were tempted with the seafood pasta we have opted to enjoy “plain seafood”.  We have started with the platter of scallops with cheese (see the attached photo), and a mix of, both local and imported, seafood.  That was followed be a platter of the local specialties: sea bass, calamari and the fish whose name I do not remember (see the other photo).  Both fish although of definitely different qualities were cooked perfectly, not overcooked, not undercooked.  Like somebody wise said: you don’t f**k with the fish.  So, the approach to preparing everything was rather minimalistic, but everything was absolutely excellent.  The fresh calamari disappeared before I took the photo, and the fried ones were surprisingly good, too.  Furthermore, as a side dish they have served egg plant from a grill in a sweet sauce that was out of this World. All of this we washed down with the local white wine. And I must say, it was a perfectly simple meal if I ever had one.  Absolutely awesome!



No comments:

Post a Comment