Thursday, March 29, 2012

U Kucharzy, ul. Ossollinskich 7, Warsaw, Poland

A friend told me some time ago that one does not go to „U Kucharzy” for the food, but for the ambiance.  It’s true that for  those who are tired of the “another fancy restaurant” look, this is the place.  It is set in the hotel kitchen of a truly magnificent, but now closed, Hotel Europejski.  I mean it is actually the kitchen, as the cooks are cooking right next to you.  The décor is natural to such an environment, and I am sure that some of the staff still can recall the Europejski’s heyday during the communist times.


Now, the food.  After my numerous trips there (mainly to amuse my foreign guests, who are always blown away by the idea and the environment), the best way to described what is served there is comfort food.  Unfortunately, nothing really stands out.  I mean it is cute that the server cuts the beef for the steak tartar on the cutting board at your table, but again the taste and the presentation are rather lacking. Thus, it is truly difficult for me to recommend anything.  Mind you the food is good, but that kind of food I can get at my grandma’s.  I don’t need to go to a restaurant. 






The place is also pretty famous for the rather spotty service.  Thus, don’t be surprised if the soup is delivered to your table, while the spoon to eat this soup is given to you 10 minutes later.  To sum up, if you want to be amused or amuse somebody with a very different restaurant setting, then this is the place.  Do not expect the food to blow you away though.

No comments:

Post a Comment